Friday, January 28, 2011

Why Kudzu?

When I was a kid and we were travelling, I'd always look for kudzu as a sign that we were getting close to home. As an adult who's lived in eight states, kudzu really has come to be a symbol of home for me. And while Asheville isn't as covered up with it as my old stompin' grounds of North Alabama, it is present here too.

So when I was trying to come up with a name for a blog, Kudzu Asheville seemed to fit. Because we have a great life in a modest home, for a while I thought about Living Large in Asheville, (subtitled Living Large in a Small Space) or some variation of that. But I was afraid my Generation Y friends might not get the Living Large reference. And then there's the fact that I'm not exactly svelte, and I didn't really want to confuse folks about the nature of my blog.

Kudzu seems right because it bespeaks the South to me. I don't know about you, but I've always felt more Southern than [insert state name here]ian (Alabamian in my case). When my husband (aka Amp for absent-minded professor) and I got married, his mom said "I can't believe Amp is marrying someone from Alabama!"  It might as well have been Mars. See folks in South Carolina have this whole state-pride thing going on that I was not familiar with. Then a few years later we moved to Texas and that was taken to a whole 'nother level. People in Texas have bragging contests on how many generations their families have been in Texas. First or second generation just doesn't cut it. One of Amp's classmates in law school told us that she'd never consider moving out of Texas. In this global world, that kind of thinking is hard for me to get my head around.

So I'm just a 40-something woman who's trying to find her voice and decide what she wants to be when she grows up. And though my accent isn't especially Southern, I'm finding that my voice is.

4 comments:

  1. welome to the blogging world! I can't wait to hear more of that gorgeous southern voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This resonated with me a lot. My epicenter is a little further north than yours, so for me it was mountains rather than kudzu. (If I could still see the road way ahead of me, I knew I was far from home!) Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who makes fun of me for saying "a whole 'nother". He just can't understand how (or why) those words go together. I find it's best just to let the words come out however they want, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed your blog and love the "AMP".
    hilarious!!! My mom might have thought that at the beginning, put she was oh so proud to have an Alabamian daughter in law that made her son so happy.:)

    ReplyDelete