Sunday, May 8, 2011

On Mother's Day

I am fortunate to have a very loving, dedicated mother. Yet for many years Mother's Day was painful for me as we went down the long path that eventually united us with Petunia.

So today, even as I relish Petunia's excitement in all her Mother's Day plans and secrets, and am beyond thankful that this amazing little girl is my daughter, I remember those who find this a difficult day.

For years we skipped church on Mother's Day because church has a way of bringing out my emotions, and they were just too close to the surface as we dreamed and worked towards becoming parents. So on this day I will always think of those who want to be mothers but are not.

I also remember those who have lost their mothers or their children. Amp and I shared stories with Petunia about her namesake grandmother this morning over breakfast. This day will always be tinged with sadness for Amp, his siblings, his father, and all who loved her, even as we remember what a wonderful mother she was. Her four children serve as a testament of her love and dedication to them.

Sadly, there are many people who do not have the joy of a loving relationship with their mothers. And there are those separated by tragic circumstance from their children. On this day I think of them.

For all who find this a painful day for whatever reason, I pray that you will find comfort and peace.

1 comment:

  1. This was beautiful, Leslie. Thank you. And how happy I am that you and Petunia have one another to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete